Ball in a box
This was an exercise where we had to correctly create a that would fit a 52x52mm ball. The final outcome must hold the ball comfortably, be secure enough to hold the ball whilst being shook, and only one of the tabs are allowed to be glued.
After I had worked out the dimensions of the sphere, I had to think about what the layout of the cubes net would be and came up with these two different net ideas.
After experimenting with the two nets I found that the second design was much more efficient and created a better structure.
To make sure the ball fits into the box I had to add a few mm onto the balls overall diameter. However here I added 3mm, which you can see left too much room for the ball to fit in.
For this cube I kept the same net design however I only made this design 1mm larger than the balls diameter. This did make a significant difference however I still found that there was a large gap still. Also due to the size of the tabs (10mm) on the box I found that the lid of the box wouldn’t stay shut.
Finally I slightly changed the size of my design only 0.5 mm larger then the balls diameter. This did make a big difference and left just enough room for the ball to fit inside the box. Another thing which I changed in the design was the size of the tabs doubling their previous size to 20mm. This allowed the tabs to fit into the box securely.






No comments:
Post a Comment